I know that you’re probably having doubts about painting those hideous cabinets of yours, but let me tell you about how easy it really is. Upon moving in I knew from the beginning I couldn’t and wouldn’t live with HONEY OAK cabinets. PUKE! So just like you I did my research and spent hours on Pinterest reading every tutorial to only find that every single one lead me to Rustoleum’s Cabinet Transformation kit. I had looked at this product multiple times on our many trips to Lowe’s and Home Depot and just never pulled the trigger, but the time had come and I was ready.
There are multiple different colors you can get the kit in and from what I had read painting white over the honey oak usually didn’t work out for others, which was a bummer because I really wanted white cabinets. Instead I chose the castle gray and prayed that it would look good. I bought the large kit which is about $70 and covers 100 square feet, it comes with great instructions and all the supplies besides the paint brushes, which cost about $5 for two 2-inch synthetic brushes. Also the kit has to be tinted by the person in the paint department don’t be that person who buys the kit without tinting it to the color you want!
Now to the real work! Luckily I had recruited my mom to come help me with this project, I would highly recommend having an extra set of hands when doing this. We started by taking off all the doors and laying them out on the ground in the exact order they hung in, this makes putting them back on much easier and less time-consuming. Then we scrubbed the doors, drawers, and the cabinet frame with the deglosser that is provided in the kit, you can be fairly generous with this stuff as they give you a good amount. When wiping the deglosser off it is going to be a soapy slimy consistency, just keep wiping it with a wet rag until it’s all gone and you don’t see any residue/suds left. We let everything dry for about 30 minutes after deglossing before we added the bond coat.The bond coat is the tinted paint and we gave everything 2 coats.
After the bond coats were dry there was an option for a glaze to be added. We tested it on a door and I decided that I wasn’t very fond of how it looked, so we left it off and just finished by putting on the clear protective top coat.The top coat is the hardest step or at least I thought so. It is a milky color and when you paint it on, it has a foamy look. You want to make sure that you brush all foamy or white looking spots out until you cannot see them anymore. Otherwise you will end up with thick spots of top coat that are noticeable. I added two coats of top coat to the drawers and doors since I knew they would be getting touched a lot. After the top coat dried we were DONE!! The only thing left was for me to add hardware, which I hadn’t bought yet. This was fine though because you have to allow for 24-48 hrs for the top coat to cure before putting any hardware back on. However, the photo pictured below was taken after the hardware had been installed.
So in total it took my mom and I about a day and a half and $75 to complete this project, not to shabby if you ask me. Oh and if anyone is wondering how the paint holds up, its tough as nails.
If you have any questions or want to share how you transformed your kitchen please feel free to comment or contact me!